Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lighter Cookie Dough Brownies

My husband loves all things cookie dough.  When I saw these beautiful brownies on Pinterest I knew I must try them.  Since I am attempting to lose some volume, I decided to see if I could successfully lighten them up.  Success!  Don't get me wrong.  They will never be confused for a health food, but I was able to take out some of the guilt and still have a dang good brownie.

P.S. The base for this is the brownie recipe I always make.  They are one of the few homemade brownies that are just as good as a box AND they are only 110 calories per brownie.  Bonus.

Lighter Cookie Dough Brownies
Base:
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. low fat sour cream
1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup
1 egg
1 egg white
2 tsp. vanilla
 
Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together.
Microwave chocolate and butter together in 30 second intervals, stirring often until melted (it takes mine 45-60 seconds total).  Let cool slightly.
Whisk sugar, sour cream, chocolate syrup, egg and white along with the vanilla into the melted chocolate.  Fold in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
Spread in a greased 8" square pan and bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes.
 
Cookie Dough Top:
6Tbsp. unsalted butter
6 Tbsp. low fat sour cream (you could also use low fat cream cheese, yum)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1 c. mini chocolate chips
 
Melt butter in microwave and let cool slightly.
Add sour cream, sugars, salt, milk and vanilla and blend.
Stir in flour, followed by chips.
When brownies have cooled completely top with cookie dough mixture.  Store in refrigerator.
 
 
*Disclaimer*  I did not invent this brownie base recipe.  It is from the lovely people at America's Test Kitchen.  It can be found in their "Healthy Family Cookbook".  One of my favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment