Monday, June 3, 2013

Make It Monday- Salt Clay

School's out!  School's Out!  It is amazing how quickly childhood boredom sets in.  It's also amazing how quickly adult insanity sets in.  I am thinking the two MIGHT be connected...

I have decided to try to keep my kids as entertained this summer as possible with the hopes of keeping my personal crazy level to a minimum.  To spread the sanity, I will share my activities with you (unfortunately that is mostly my family and I can tell you, sanity in that group is a pipe dream).

Today's summer activity idea is salt clay.  My kids had a lot of fun with this.  First, they got to make the clay, then they could play with it and make things and smoosh them and make more.  When they were done smooshing, they made final cutouts and pinch pots to dry.  Once their pieces were dry, they got to paint and decorate.

It was a simple project that does not take a bunch of supplies, making it easy to whip up on a whim.  If your kids are driving you crazy, bust this one out.  Maybe it will give you a couple minutes of peace.  Use it to pee.

Salt Clay
 
 
Ingredients:
1 cup table salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water
 
Directions:
Stir together flour and salt.
Add water and stir into a soft dough.
Knead until smooth and no pockets of flour remain.
Use to make pinch pots, sculptures, or roll out and cut with cookie cutters.
Let dry or bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour.  Bigger or thicker items may take longer to dry.
Paint and decorate as desired!
 
 
***Want another cool boredom buster?  Check out sand casting. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment