Thursday, June 20, 2013

Traveling Food

I cook at home a LOT and I like to do the same on vacation.  It is so much easier to eat in than try to take three small people out.  The problem is, vacation cooking sucks.  The pots never have matching lids, the knives are dull and your pantry full of spices and staples is hundreds of miles away. 
I was trying to come up with a meal plan for the week and it occurred to me that I could pre-mix the dry ingredients for things like biscuits and pancakes in gallon bags.  All I would have to do on vacation is add in eggs, butter, and buttermilk which are things I would have to buy for the week anyway.

 
I bagged my mixes up and wrote what I needed to add on the outside.  Biscuits and gravy and homemade pancakes on vacation?  Don't mind if I do.
 
 
 
Biscuit Mix:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
 
Add to the mix:
6 Tbsp. butter
3/4 c. buttermilk
 
Cut in the butter until it looks like coarse sand (use a hand mixer, pastry cutter or 2 knives).
Stir in buttermilk.
Pat dough into a rectangle-ish shape 1/2" thick and cut into squares.
Bake at 500 degrees 10-12 minutes.
 
Pancake Mix:
1-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
 
Add to the mix:
1-1/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
 
Mix together the wet ingredients and gently stir into the dry mix until moistened and only small lumps remain.
Spoon by the 1/4 c. onto a hot griddle or non-stick skillet coated with butter or non-stick spray.
Cook until golden on the bottom and dry and bubbled on top.  Flip and cook until second side is lightly browned.
 
 
***You may notice the measurements on my bags are different than my recipes.  I was feeding 8-10 people, so I made double batches.*** 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment