Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lacey Circle Scarf (Crochet)

I have been on a crochet kick lately.  I started knitting about 15 years ago and loved it.  My mother is a big hooker (hee hee) and makes the most beautiful afghans.  I guess I kind of assumed you were either a knitter or a crocheter er er er.  When I was pregnant with my littlest son, I found some of the cutest baby hat patterns and most of them were crochet.  I tried to guilt my mom into it, but she has this thing called a full-time job and my sister the personal trainer has already guilted up most of her time with work outs.  Therefore, I must crochet.

I was shocked at how easy it was to pick up.  I think the trick to either knit or crochet is how you hold your hands and maintaining proper and consistent tension so I was one step ahead of the game since I was a knitter.  I discovered that I could crochet much faster since the rows are usually wider.  I also discovered crochet is denser and stiffer making it great for blankets, booties and outerwear.  It is possible to crochet something lighter and softer, as long as you use the right stitch.

I wanted to make my daughter a circle scarf to wear on Friday's for spirit day at school.  She is delicate and I didn't want the scarf to overpower her.  I wanted it to be worn doubled up so it had to be soft and flexible.  I looked through some stitch options and here is what I came up with.

Lacey Circle Scarf
 
What You Need:
1 skein worsted weight yarn (I used Red Heart two tone)
Size K crochet hook
 
What You Do:
Chain 19
Row 1: (2dc, ch1, 2dc) in 5th st from hook *sk next 3 ch (2dc, ch1, 2 dc) in next ch* repeat to last 2 ch, sk next ch, dc in last ch
Row 2: ch 3, turn, (2dc, ch1, 2dc) in each ch1 sp across, dc in top of turning chain
Repeat row 2 until you have 72 rows total.
Sew or slip stitch ends together and weave in tails.


No comments:

Post a Comment