Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Quilted Granny Square Baby Blanket

I am going to ease off the food (for today) and show you how I made this sweet baby blanket.  I decided to quilt this granny square blanket because the back side looked... well, awful.  I used fleece instead of batting because I didn't want fluff to ooze out the holes in the squares.  It turns out, it didn't even need the fleece.  When I do this again (and I will), I will omit the fleece.  It made it a little too thick for my liking (not so thick I felt the need to take it apart though).  I will con my mom in to showing me how to crochet a granny square so I will give you the know-how on that soon!

Quilted Granny Square Baby Blanket


This is not an exact tutorial.  Sorry.  The quantity of materials will vary greatly, depending on the size of your blanket.

You will need
completed afghan
enough baking fabric to cover the size afghan you have
trim fabric, I used about 1/4 yd
enough fleece to cover your afghan (as I said, I would not use this next time)
thread

What you do

Lay out your blanket with the backing on the bottom, then the fleece (if using), and the afghan on top.  Pin layers together LIBERALLY.

Since my afghan is a granny square, I chose to machine quilt along the edges of the squares.  Base your quilting on the design of your afghan.

Trim the excess fabric from around the edges of your quilted blanket.

Now it is time to make your binding.  Choose the width you want your finished binding to be and multiply it by 4.  I wanted mine to be 1/2" so I cut my binding 2" wide.  Fold each piece in half and press, then open up and fold each raw edge in to the pressed line and press again.

It will look like this.

Pinning as you go, sandwich binding onto blanket and hand stitch (sorry) onto blanket, overlapping edges of binding as necessary.  This is a labor of love and I promise, promise, promise, it is worth it!

My friend teared up a little when I gave this to her.  I am twisted enough to find that very satisfying.
 
***Like this project?  Check out my Crochet Backed Quilt or my Crochet Granny Quilt.***

No comments:

Post a Comment