Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sloppy Joe's

My brother-in-law lived with us for about a year and a half.  He has two daughters who he spent every other weekend with.  That means that every other weekend I had three adults, three girls and my baby boy in a small-ish house.  I'm not gonna lie.  Sometimes I miss it.
I loved cooking for everyone.  We would all sit around the table for meals and talk and be silly.  It made me consider having a big family (still considering).
This recipe came from that time.  I wanted to make sloppy Joe's, but only had one pound of meat.  I decided to stretch the beef by adding veggies figuring the girls would never notice once it was covered in sauce.  It was a hit and no one was the wiser.  I make it all the time now, adding whatever veggies I happen to have in the fridge.  It is a great way to use up those odds and ends.  Be creative.  Go crazy.  I'm there all the time.  Stop by and say hi.

Sloppy Joe's
Should have taken a picture on a bun... shoulda, coulda, woulda.
Ingredients
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 lb. ground beef (I always use sirloin)
2-3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 c. ketchup (more if you like it sauce)
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering.  Add in all your veggies and cook until they start to soften.
Once they are getting soft, add in the meat and break it up with a spatula as it cooks.
Once your beef is browned, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 10-15 minutes to let flavors blend.  Serve on buns.  So good.


No comments:

Post a Comment