Monday, January 9, 2012

Baby Blueberry Apple Fry Pies

As we have discussed, I have a tendency to avoid eating fresh fruit in it's true form and instead cover it with dough... or butter... or both.  Most of the time this is a product of the fruit getting a little past it's prime and of course, I can't just throw it away.  Right?  That would be wasteful.  Yup.  Justified.  This time, however, was different.  I bought blueberries with the intent of making a cobbler.  I bought too many.  Ooooooops.  What's a girl to do?  Make fry pies, that's what.

Baby Blueberry Apple Fry Pies
Ingredients
1 pint blueberries, rinsed
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped into 1/4" dice
1/3 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp.cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
dough

Directions
Combine berries, apple, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepot.
Stir everything together and heat over medium until simmering.  Then turn to low and cook until berries have released their juice and it is thick and saucy. 
Take off the heat and let cool.  While it is cooling you can get the dough ready.  Be sure you are well rested because it is a very intense procedure.  Open a can of biscuits.
Boom.
Roll a biscuit out on a floured surface and put a dollop of filling in the middle.  Now here is where things can easily go horribly wrong.  My biscuits were small.  Much smaller than I realized so I had a couple of exploded pies.  Be careful not to fill yours too full.  Learn from my mistakes.
Fold it over and crimp the edges with a fork.
Heat up some vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.  Once it is shimmering, add in the pies and fry until golden brown on both sides.  Watch carefully, they will burn very quickly.  Again, learn from my mistakes (imagine me yelling "my biscuits is burning!"  yup, it happened).  When they are beautiful and brown (not black like a couple of mine),  drain them on paper towels and serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment