Monday, January 2, 2012

Party Potatoes

When I was little my favorite dish at every family party was the "Party Potatoes" my grandmother made.  They were mashed potatoes with a kick.  They were fluffy and creamy and a little tangy.  This is my version.  They are convenient to make because you make them and throw them in the oven, so you're not left trying to mash potatoes as everything else finishes.  My grandmother added chopped chives to hers and if I have them in my fridge, I do too, but I am lazy and I had no chives.  Sorry if I've let you down.

Party Potatoes
(Sorry the picture leaves a lot to be desired)
Ingredients
5 large potatoes
1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 eggs
salt and pepper

Directions
Peel your potatoes.  I use the jumbo russets because I am lazy (have I told you that before?) and I hate peeling potatoes.  Chop them up and chuck them in a large pot.
Cover them with water and salt it liberally.  Then boil the potatoes until they are nice and tender.
 
Drain them and use your choice of mashing method.  I got a new toy for Christmas...

a potato ricer!  It is so much more amazing than I expected.  It makes the creamiest, smoothest potatoes, I have ever made.  A worthy addition if you make mashed potatoes on a regular basis.

Using it is a no brainer.  Fill the bucket with cooked potatoes...

and smash.  Repeat with remaining potatoes until you have pulverized them all.
 
Now you can add the cheese (I cut mine into chunks so it melts easier) milk, butter (again with the chunks), sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. 
Mix well, until everything looks smooth and incorporated.  Add more milk if it seems dry.  You want it really creamy because some of the moisture will bake out.
Scramble up your eggs and add them to the potatoes.  Mix well.
Spread the potatoes in a greased dish and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  I serve mine with all sorts of things.  Fried chicken, pot roast, meatloaf, but I will show you what I served them with this time, tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment