Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tex-Mex Bean Soup

I really love Mexican food.  I really love soup.  My kids really love beans.  Put that together and a slightly spicy, smoky bean soup is born.  It is really easy and really yummy.  I served mine with chile and cheese stuffed cornbread (Intrigued? You should be. Check back tomorrow.). 

Tex-Mex Bean Soup
Ingredients
1-12 oz. pkg. andouille sausage
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. coriander
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles (I use mild, my people are delicate flowers)
6 c. chicken broth
1-15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
minced cilantro to taste
 
Directions
Dice the sausage up.  I quartered each link and then sliced across the quarters.
Toss the sausage into a dutch oven over medium heat.
While the sausage browns, dice up the onion and green pepper.
When the sausage is browned and you have yummy goodness sticking to the bottom of the pot
toss in the veggies and stir them around to sweat the fond (look at me using fancy words!) off the bottom of the pot.
Once the veggies are getting soft, but not browned, add in the spices and garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until it is fragrant.
Now stir in the can of tomatoes and be sure to scrape up anything left stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Stir in the chicken broth and beans and bring to a boil then turn to low and simmer about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend.
Before serving stir in the cilantro.  I don't stir in very much because then my people whine about it so I top mine with extra cilantro (as well as grated monterey jack cheese and sour cream).

See that cornbread?  It was freakin' awesome.  It is coming your way tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment