Friday, October 25, 2013

The Most Com-fur-table Blanket

My kids are weirdos.  Maybe quirky is a better description...  Well...  Nope.  Weird.  My older son has what I would call a sensory... well I would consider it a problem.

I discovered it while working on my daughter's reading nook (if you missed that post, check it out here).  I bought a super soft, silky and dead free faux sheepskin at Ikea.  I thought it would be a nice place to rest her bare feet while reading in her big comfy chair.  Problem was, it never stayed in her room more than five minutes.  Her little brother would immediately sneak in, grab it, go to a quiet corner, strip off all his clothes and...

 

Yup...  Weird.  Realizing it was going to be a never ending battle to keep the rug in Emma's room, I decided to make Mr. Man a furry of his own.  Luckily, it is costume season, so the options were plentiful at the fabric store.  I let him choose his fur and a flannel for the back.  I picked a coordinating flannel for the trim and got to work. 

 
I bought a yard of fur and a yard of the flannel for the back, but they were different widths so I laid them out and cut them to the same size, squaring them up a little in the process.  I don't have the time or the inclination to be exact, so I eyeball it.  Mr. Man doesn't care if it's not perfect and neither do I.

 
I bought 1/2 yard of my edging flannel (just to be safe) and cut it into 2" wide strips.  Then I sew them together, end to end, into one long strip.

 
My iron was in the basement and my flat iron was handy, so I used it to press the seams open on my super strip.

 
To make the blanket all I did was sandwich my fabric, wrong sides together and sew on my binding.
 

 
A couple of hours and under $15 to make my little weirdo happy.  Unfortunately we may have a new issue..
 

 
It appears we have another weirdo in the making.
 
 
***Like my fabric?  Got it all at my local JoAnn Fabrics.***
 
***Don't know how to sew binding on?  Check out how I do mine here .***
 
***Want more kiddo blanket ideas?  Check out more of my blankets here , here , here, and here .***
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment