Friday, October 18, 2013

Easy Initial Frame

I am finally getting around to decorating my new house.  We have lived here for over two years, but I went and decided it was a good idea to breed soon after we moved in.  My little guy is now almost one and I can occasionally find the time to get some things accomplished around the house.

One glaring issue was the huge barren expanse of wall above my family room sofa.  It kind of had me perplexed.  It needed a large piece of art and I am cheap.  So, I put it off.

While shopping for frames for photos for my grandma's 90th birthday party (sorry about the excessive use of "for"), I came across a fantastic weathered wood frame.  It got me thinking.  What about a GROUP of pictures to mimic a large piece?

I decided I needed six frames.  Now, how to fill them?  I have three kiddos, so they got half of them.  I was still pondering the other three when I was at the craft store.  I came across wooden letters and had an idea for an awesome non-picture piece.  It was super easy and added a focal point that was much needed.   Here is what I did.

 
I took the letter I bought and spray painted it bronze.

 
Next, using the cardboard backing of the frame as a template, I cut a coordinating piece of fabric.

 
I put the fabric inside the frame,

 
then used command strips on the back of my letter (in case I want to change the frame later)

 
and stuck the letter to the glass of the frame.  Be careful not to push too hard.  You don't want shattered glass everywhere.
 
 
Then I hung it on my wall with my other pictures.  Cute right?
 
 
***Like my frames?  Got them at Hobby Lobby for about $17 each.***
***Like my letter?  JoAnn Fabrics for under $5.***
***Like my pictures?  They are 11"x14" prints from http://www.shutterfly.com/ .***
***Oh, you mean you like the actual photos!  The top two and the picture of my daughter were done by my beautiful cousin Tara.  If you live in the Dayton, Ohio area, she can take some for you too!  Check out her blog at http://taralewisphotography.blogspot.com/ .  She is AMAZING!***
 


No comments:

Post a Comment