Thursday, December 13, 2012

Easy Initial Bag





It is the time of the year where I am scrambling to finish all my Christmas gifts.  Right now I have two sweaters, a pair of socks, a chenille blanket and a carry-all (Want to make one?  Look here http://modernhousewife-themodernhousewife.blogspot.com/2012/02/carry-alls.html) in the works.  My cousin's girls are very into crafting, so along with some fun crafty items, I wanted to make them bags to tote around their projects as they work on them.  Unfortunately, I have a million other things to do, so making them from scratch was not an option.  I decided to fancy up ready-made bags.  I kept it simple and quick, but still fabulous.  Here is how I did it.

 
First I printed off huge letters.  I just used Word and blew them up to 600-ish.  Whatever took up the whole page. 
 
 
Then I traced them onto my fabric and cut them out.  Be sure to place the letter face down on the back of the fabric.  I know from experience you don't realize it is backwards until you have completely cut it out, and it really sucks to have to make another one.
 
 
I used fabric glue to hold the letters in place, and machine stitched around the edges.  Don't use too much glue, you just want to hold it in place while you sew.  You could stop now and have a super cute bag.  I opted to make removable bows to up the cute factor.
 
 
Using a hot glue gun, I made a loop of my ribbon and glued it together in the center.
 
 
I cut a piece to wrap around the center and made a pleat in each end, putting a dot of glue in the fold to hold it in place.
 
 
Voila.
 
 
Wrap that around the center and glue each end at the back.
 
 
Last, glue on the tails and a barrette (this makes it easy on and off).  Done!
 
 
I clipped my bows to a handle.  Easy peasy!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment