Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa

I love quinoa.  I like the little pop you get in every grain, I love how quickly it cooks.  I love how diverse it is.  I love to say it.  "Keen-wa".  Fabulous.  I found a recipe that used quinoa in place of the pasta in mac and cheese on Pinterest (where else, right?).  I was saddened when I followed the link and found that it contained evil ingredients such as low-fat cheese and soy milk.  Really?  What did mac and cheese ever do to her?  I do realize that quinoa is an extremely healthy ingredient, but it also tastes fantastic.  I cannot say the same for soy milk and low-fat cheese.  Anyhoo, I made up a version I would be willing to eat, even though it has a pretty decent nutritional value.

Cheesy Quinoa


Ingredients
1 c. quinoa
2 c. water
1 c. milk (I used 1%)
1-1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar
2 eggs
4oz. (1/2 block) low fat cream cheese
salt
pepper
garlic powder
hot sauce

Directions
Combine quinoa and water along with 1/2 tsp. salt in pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until water is absorbed (10-15 minutes).
While quinoa is cooking combine milk, eggs and cheddar cheese.
Add cream cheese to cooked and still hot quinoa and stir to combine.  Add in milk mixture.
Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and hot sauce to taste.
Spread in greased 8" square baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment