Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Morning Pancakes



I have long been on the search for the perfect pancake.  I wanted a light and fluffy pancake with great flavor and some height.  One would not think this was much to ask, but considering most restaurant breakfasts feature gummy, wet and flat versions, I figured it might take a while.  If they do it like it's their job (which it is) using a commercial griddle and still can't make a good pancake, me in my  unprofessional grade kitchen might be screwed.  And screwed I was.  I have made pancakes upon pancakes, upon pancakes.  I have tried Amish recipes (I always go there first because I figure if anyone can do something right it's the Amish... not true... they don't make good pancakes either.) I have separated eggs and whipped egg whites, I have even made sourdough pancakes (the worst of the bunch AND the most work).
So when I sat down to look for yet another pancake recipe, I didn't hold much hope.  I can across a recipe that made enough pancakes to feed an army and seemed to have less liquid than most other recipes.  I thought at least maybe these would not spread as thin so maybe it would be a good start.  I reduced the recipe to a third of it's size and adjusted the measurements ( I am NOT measuring 3/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. of flour---that became 1 even cup) and made a batch up.  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I had actually found the pancake of my dreams.  Tall and tender with a light and airy center AND since they use only buttermilk, they have a yummy, rich flavor.
So, if you have long been searching for the perfect pancake, rest easy, the quest is over!





Sunday Morning Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. melted butter
Directions:
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
Mix together remaining ingredients (I do this in a glass measuring cup starting with the buttermilk).
Pre-heat griddle to 300 degrees or heat skillet over medium heat.
When pan is hot, gently fold wet ingredients into dry being careful not to over mix, but being sure no large flour pockets remain.
Drop onto heated griddle or pan and cook until lightly browned and top looks dry.  Flip and brown on other side.
***This recipe will make 8-5" pancakes.  IF you want more DO NOT double the recipe, make it twice.  The chemical reaction that causes these pancakes to be so airy is very short lived.  If the batter sits too long, you will end up with gummy, flat pancakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment