Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pecan Lace Sandwich Cookies

This morning the ladies of my family got together for brunch and a Christmas cookie exchange.  Back in the day, my mom and her sisters would bake and decorate cookies together.  I remember these parties and how fantastically fun they were.  I wanted to resurrect this tradition, but baking cookies together seemed a little lengthy... and messy.  I decided to host a "Christmas Cookie Munch and Brunch".  Everyone brought a brunch item and a batch of cookies.  To encourage participation, I made it a competition (my family is competitive in a healthy, fun sort of way see more on that here ).

I was not disappointed.  Not only did everyone bring their A-game, they brought multiple games.  We had so many freakin' cookies.  We had biscotti (three types to be exact), wedding cookies, eggnog cookies, chocolate chip cookies, gingerbread, macadamia nut cookies, scones and more. 

Over the next few days, I will share my cookie recipes with you and I will announce my favorite cookie of the party (not that it matters because we baked too many cookies and flaked on the contest).  So get out your parchment and baking sheets and lets go!

 
Pecan Lace Sandwich Cookies
 
These are almost a cross between a cookie and candy.  They are light and crispy, and were a big hit at the brunch.
 
Ingredients:
1/2 c. pecans, toasted and cooled
1/4 c. flour
4 Tbsp. butter
6 Tbsp. packed, dark brown sugar
1/4 c. dark corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 tsp. heavy cream
pinch salt
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
 
Directions:
Process nuts and flour in food processor until only small pieces of pecan remain.
Combine butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and whisk in pecan mixture, vanilla, cream and salt.
Drop by the scant teaspoonful onto parchment lined baking sheets, at least 3" apart (these cookies spread A LOT).
Bake at 350 degrees until cookies are no longer bubbling, 5-7 minutes.
Let cookies cool on baking sheet 10 minutes, then transfer parchment sheet to counter and cool completely.
Spread 2 teaspoons chocolate onto cookie bottoms and gently top with another cookie.
Let chocolate set before serving.
 
***Adapted from a recipe by America's Test Kitchen***
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment