Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Plum Cobbler

I love plums.  I love the combination of sweet flesh and tart skin.  I must be in the minority because they don't seem to get the same attention as say, apples or peaches.  Don't get me wrong, I also love apples and peaches, but sometimes you want a new twist on your pie or cobbler.  That is when I turn to plums.

This is a simple crisp style cobbler.  It can be used with plums like I did, or if you are uninteresting, apples or peaches.  Actually a lot of fruits would work, so experiment away (grapes or strawberries maybe?).  It is made using a handful of ingredients you probably always have on hand and if you use a slice free fruit (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) you will have it put together before your oven heats up!  I call that a win.

Plum Cobbler
 
 
Ingredients:
Filling:
12 plums, pitted and sliced (or enough fruit to fill an 8"x8" baking dish 3/4 full)
1/8 c. sugar (I like the tartness of plums.  If you don't increase to 1/4 c.)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt (if you do not like a little sweet/salty mix cut back to 1/2 tsp.)
1 egg
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
 
Directions:
Combine filling ingredients and pour into greased 8"x8" baking dish.
Combine sugars, flour, baking powder and salt.
Add egg and cut in until mixture looks like sand.
Sprinkle over the top of fruit in dish.
Drizzle melted butter over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment