Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Healthy Banana Breakfast Cookies

I have a love/hate relationship with bananas.  I love a good, just yellow with a few freckles, banana.  Problem is, that particular banana complexion only lasts about 3.4325 hours.  Then you are left with 2-3 unappealing, liver spotted bananas (weird how its always 2 or 3). 
A few months back, I saw a "cookie" recipe that used only quick oats and bananas.  Out of curiosity more than anything, I gave it a try.  They were odd.  The insides were mushy and a little pasty, but the outsides firmed up a bit and had a pleasant chew to them.  I decided with a little tweaking, there could be a decently healthy breakfast style cookie hiding in there.
A few attempts later I managed a flavorful, slightly chewy breakfast cookie that had a little crispness at the edges and an almost creamy (non-gluey) center.  My 15 month old LOVES them.  I LOVE them.  Now I can eat cookies for breakfast and not feel like I ruined my day before 8am!

Healthy Banana Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:
2-3 ripe mashed bananas
1/4 c. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. rolled (old fashioned) oats
1 c. quick oats
add ins of your choice, I used 1/3 c. mini chocolate chips

Directions:
Mix together bananas, oil, vanilla and cinnamon.
Stir in oats and let sit for 15 minutes.
Fold in any extras you want, try coconut, nuts, dried fruit or peanut butter.
Drop by the tablespoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.


***These take a while to bake because of all the moisture in the bananas.  The should be golden brown and firm.***

***Do not omit the oil.  It is crucial to the texture of the cookies.***

***Freeze any extra cookies that you won't eat within 24-ish hours.  Pop them in the microwave to heat for a softer cookie or the oven for a firmer cookie.***


No comments:

Post a Comment