Monday, November 4, 2013

Peanut Butter Lovers Pie

My people love peanut butter.  They love it in sandwiches, cookies, ice cream, noodles and on spoons.  Most of all, they love it in pie.

I have a peanut butter pie I have been making for quite a few years.  It is a simple, no bake pie and it is super yummy.  Recently, I went to whip one up and remembered my mom making a peanut butter pie when I was little.  Her pie was very different from mine.  It was also simple, consisting of peanut butter and sugar mixed together to make a crumbly concoction that was sprinkled in the bottom of a baked crust and then topped with instant vanilla pie filling.  Easy, but not very peanut buttery.  My version packs a pretty good peanut butter punch, but I decided the peanut butter crumbs from her pie could make it a knockout.  So, here you go.  My new hybrid extra peanut buttery pie.  Be sure you have plenty of milk!

Peanut Butter Lovers Pie
 
Ingredients:
Pre-baked pie crust (want an easy recipe?  Try my simple crust )
1 package Dream Whip, prepared according to directions (you could also use about 3/4 of a tub of Cool Whip)
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 c, powdered sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. peanut butter, divided
2 Tbsp. milk
 
Directions:
Combine brown sugar and 1/2 c. peanut butter with a fork until combined and crumbly.
In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
Add remaining 1/2 c. peanut butter and milk and beat until smooth and a little fluffy.
Carefully fold prepared Dream Whip into cream cheese mixture.
Sprinkle 1/3 peanut butter crumbs in the bottom of prepared shell.  Top with 1/2 filling. 
Repeat layer and end by sprinkling last 1/3 of crumbs over the top of pie.  Chill. 
 
***Don't have Dream Whip or Cool Whip?  Make 2 c. (finished volume) of lightly sweetened whipped cream.***
 
***Immediately after this post went up, my mother called to let me know that even though her recipe may have called for instant pie filling, she made her own filling from scratch.  She has "never in her life" used instant pie filling.  So, do not doubt my mother's amazing cooking skills.  Apparently it irks her... greatly.***
 



No comments:

Post a Comment